MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #21
brandontx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,746

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F








I've heard the VFR gets pretty uncomfortable. To the point where you're doing the hand on the hip thing. If you are a year and a half away then the BMW K 1600 6-cylinder touring bike will be out. Get that thing! 160 hp and 175 newton meters of torque. I think that is like 135 ft/lbs.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goldwing Mechanic? Stunt Heavy Cruisers Lounge 4 09-23-2012 09:43 AM
Dropping a Goldwing FKNA General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-05-2012 05:10 PM
Help me value a goldwing? Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-24-2011 10:40 AM
Nicky on a Goldwing... Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-13-2007 09:04 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #22
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville
 
cogs69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Way out there...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,125

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser









Dave, I spend a lot of time on this forum http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?

check out the reviews there. It is an ad free forum and all us members tossed in a little coin here and there and bought one for the owner. Read the reviews. Hispanicslammer the owner did some mods to the seat to make it more comfortable, but it seems to be getting very favorable reviews from the guys that got them. I personally would want the lighter more nimble VFR myself, I sat on a goldwing and it just doesn't feel like riding. As for comfort, you will definitely be more comfortable on the goldwing. But at half the price, you could always add things to the VFR to help with that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
if 100 people tell you that you're a fuhking idiot...odds are your a fuhking idiot.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #23
Davekg
Honda Rider
 
Davekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Spring / Woodlands
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,888

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 CBR









Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post
Dave, I spend a lot of time on this forum http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?

check out the reviews there. It is an ad free forum and all us members tossed in a little coin here and there and bought one for the owner. Read the reviews. Hispanicslammer the owner did some mods to the seat to make it more comfortable, but it seems to be getting very favorable reviews from the guys that got them. I personally would want the lighter more nimble VFR myself, I sat on a goldwing and it just doesn't feel like riding. As for comfort, you will definitely be more comfortable on the goldwing. But at half the price, you could always add things to the VFR to help with that.
Thanks, I will check it out.... It would be awesome to be able to take a spin on a VFR1200 and a Goldwing to see how each rides.... I'm really thinking of going all the way and getting the Wing, I've got a year or so to think on it and maybe I'll get a chance to ride one or the other or both. It's just the amount of miles I'm thinking of and possible passenger on some trips the Wing is looking attractive.
__________________

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #24
Davekg
Honda Rider
 
Davekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Spring / Woodlands
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,888

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 CBR









Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmex1 View Post
I have a 2010 GL1800 with both that you can demo.....
AAH that would be awesome....
__________________

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #25
jcsanchez68
Senior Member
 
jcsanchez68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 153

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
DUCATI
DUCATI
BMW
Triumph
Aprilia






Specially if you are keeping the cbr, I will go for the Goldwing
jcsanchez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #26
FKNA
Senior Member
 
FKNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,707

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing








It doesn't matter how much you tour up a sports bike, it's still a sports bike. Something you would regret taking cross country. Definitely go with the Wing. They can hang pretty well with the sports bikes in the twisties.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #27
zerobounds
Captain Concussion
 
zerobounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 5,279

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
70









SHAFT drive.












SHAFT.
__________________
zerobounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #28
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville
 
cogs69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Way out there...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,125

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser









Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekg View Post
Thanks, I will check it out.... It would be awesome to be able to take a spin on a VFR1200 and a Goldwing to see how each rides.... I'm really thinking of going all the way and getting the Wing, I've got a year or so to think on it and maybe I'll get a chance to ride one or the other or both. It's just the amount of miles I'm thinking of and possible passenger on some trips the Wing is looking attractive.
Good luck finding a VFR1200 to test ride. They are being stingy with that. But for all out comfort, you can't go wrong with the Goldwing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsanchez68 View Post
Specially if you are keeping the cbr, I will go for the Goldwing
+1, I got a vfr because I can only own one bike right now and it gave me a little of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
It doesn't matter how much you tour up a sports bike, it's still a sports bike. Something you would regret taking cross country. Definitely go with the Wing. They can hang pretty well with the sports bikes in the twisties.
Not true, it is a sport touring bike that many people ride cross country and further on a regular basis. It is typically owned by older people as well. There are lots of 60+ men that use the vfr to do nothing but tour and wouldn't trade it for anything else. BUT, it won't be as comfy as the goldwing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
if 100 people tell you that you're a fuhking idiot...odds are your a fuhking idiot.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #29
morvegil
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston&Minneapolis
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,397


Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter






User is banned

.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20100808_071220.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	37854  
morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #30
brandontx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,746

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F








I can see how the shaft drive would come in handy when touring. If you're putting on some serious miles everyday, I could see a chain being a real pain in the having to adjust it every couple of days.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #31
Davekg
Honda Rider
 
Davekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Spring / Woodlands
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,888

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 CBR









Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsanchez68 View Post
Specially if you are keeping the cbr, I will go for the Goldwing
Yes... no plan to part from the CBR... love hitting the back roads on it, it's my medication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
It doesn't matter how much you tour up a sports bike, it's still a sports bike. Something you would regret taking cross country. Definitely go with the Wing. They can hang pretty well with the sports bikes in the twisties.
O' yeah, I remember when you first got your Wing and rode up to Yankee's with us... Your wing looked crazy nimble shooting up 149 and 3090..

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
My brother has the new VFR. I rode it for a few hours across South Dakota..its very comfortable. A little less wind protection than my sprint but its a FUN bike. I'd get it over the GW unless you really want a big bike. The GW isnt fun around town FYI.
I'm not totally against the VFR I've already got a CBR though I plan to keep. I'm wanting to hit major mileage everyday.... I'm not really looking for fun around town bike I'm looking for big mileage touring... I'd still love to ride the VFR if I get a chance though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
I can see how the shaft drive would come in handy when touring. If you're putting on some serious miles everyday, I could see a chain being a real pain in the having to adjust it every couple of days.
They both have shaft so yah got that covered either way
__________________

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #32
Davekg
Honda Rider
 
Davekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Spring / Woodlands
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,888

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 CBR









Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
MudBug says center stands are for homos
He's just jealous Kawi didn't make the Goldwing
__________________

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #33
StewRat
Hive Investigator
 
StewRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stafford
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 576




2003 CRF230
2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
2012 Kawasaki KLR650






Hey Dave, any updates, I'm gonna go look at a VFR tomorrow.
StewRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #34
FKNA
Senior Member
 
FKNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,707

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing








Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs69 View Post


Not true, it is a sport touring bike that many people ride cross country and further on a regular basis. It is typically owned by older people as well. There are lots of 60+ men that use the vfr to do nothing but tour and wouldn't trade it for anything else. BUT, it won't be as comfy as the goldwing.
That's the point I was getting at.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #35
FKNA
Senior Member
 
FKNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,707

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing








Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekg View Post
O' yeah, I remember when you first got your Wing and rode up to Yankee's with us... Your wing looked crazy nimble shooting up 149 and 3090..
I remember that day well. The leader was pretty concerned (sign of a good leader) that I was going to ride with y'all on a Wing. That was the very first time I had gotten her out on some twisties to see how she would handle. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised on how the bike handled. Soon I will need to replace the pegs because of dragging them so much.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #36
Jerzey
The Trickster
 
Jerzey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,381

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600
300zx twinturbo
BMW 545i M sport







..
__________________
The one and only .
Jerzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:31 AM   #37
Davekg
Honda Rider
 
Davekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Spring / Woodlands
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,888

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 CBR









Quote:
Originally Posted by StewRat View Post
Hey Dave, any updates, I'm gonna go look at a VFR tomorrow.
Nah... I'm leaning pretty heavy on the Goldwing, may-be about a year out for me, when I get a few days off I'm gonna test drive one. I'm not gonna tottally dis the VFR it's just what I have in mind I'd like to go for the heavy hitter... When I get out there I'll be doing 800 to 1000 miles a day probably, just seems like it may be more enjoyable on the wing.

If you find a VFR to ride tell me about, how it was in comparision to our CBR's..
__________________

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #38
StewRat
Hive Investigator
 
StewRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stafford
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 576




2003 CRF230
2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
2012 Kawasaki KLR650






..
StewRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #39
cogs69
Mayor of Coggerville
 
cogs69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Way out there...
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,125

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
79cc mini cruiser









Quote:
Originally Posted by StewRat View Post
Hey Dave, any updates, I'm gonna go look at a VFR tomorrow.
They have the automatic and standard at Lunsford's, but they aren't demos. I am glad I couldn't ride them, it might possibly cause an itch.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
if 100 people tell you that you're a fuhking idiot...odds are your a fuhking idiot.
cogs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #40
StewRat
Hive Investigator
 
StewRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Stafford
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 576




2003 CRF230
2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
2012 Kawasaki KLR650






I went and sat on one at Honda of Houston. It was ok, I really thought it would be more comfortable. I think they were asking too much though, they wanted 15,999. On ebay honda of Shawnee, Ok had them listed for 13,999.

Either way, I went to Wild West Honda and sat on an RC8. Now that… what a bike! I think it was more comfortable than the VFR. Needless to say, I'm in love.
StewRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy