MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #1
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

ATGATT: Has more to do with Age/Generation, than with type of bike?

I'm reposting this from another thread so as to be its own.

I think the trends to wear gear or not wear gear has more to do with age, than with cruiser vs. sportbike.

Yes, a larger percentage of cruiser riders are older (let's say 40yrs +), and a larger percentage of sportbike riders are younger (less than 40). With that said, the older generation of riders (my generation) started off riding their streetbikes during an era when there was no real substantive peer pressure to wear gear or not. It was cool to not wear gear, in many ways, and a helmet and a denim jacket were the extent to which we geared up for a ride.

Experience and Information breed new technology...

With the younger generation (most here on MH), when you guys are fresh into motorcycling and all aspects of it, and especially with the strong marketing and development of gear and safety, ATGATT is synonimous with learning to ride. So it's "normal" thinking to correlate riding with wearing full gear, for this generation, anytime you go out to ride. I also believe that, through peer pressure, younger riders feel it's also "cool" to wear gear, and many riders want to get all geared out just to pose and look cool. Be that as it may, that's actually a good thing!

I myself, as stated before, don't always wear a jacket to the corner store or even my office, or other times that I may just be riding a mile or two away on local roads. It may be stubborness or stupidity, or merely an unwillingness to correlate the risk of riding without gear with the actual severity of the consequences of that decision. I've fallen several times in my teens and 20s without a jacket or gloves, and accepted the road rash (pizza elbow, as we called it) as a badge of honor. "Yeah... I got this scar when I was riding down this twisty road, near the delaware River Gap, on a Sunday morning..... blah, blah, blah". Stupid... yes. But that's just the way it was. You rode, you crashed, you rashed.

I'll bet there's a larger percentage of older riders (who ironicly may have significantly more riding experience), who will go out for a ride without a lid, then there would be of younger riders (cruiser or not) going lidless or without gear. Smarts or Peer Pressure, Safety or Poser Points... kudos to the younger generation and the new way of thinking that ATGATT is the current standard.

I've gone from wearing full gear (lid + denim jacket) maybe 50% of the time, to now wearing full gear (lid+CE jacket+Boots+Gloves) almost 100% of the time over the last 2 decades.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire age on used bike with low miles Peregrine Safety Corner Main 12 08-04-2011 05:36 PM
What age can kids legally ride on the back of the bike? eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 07-09-2011 02:08 PM
age at first sport bike socplay50 General Discussion (Moto Related) 65 03-19-2008 08:09 PM
To The Age Old Question: Rider? or Bike? hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 11-29-2007 12:12 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

I agree with the "cool" factor on gear. overall though to me its just like wearing a seatbelt. 40 years ago many cars did not even have seatbelts in them! I used to drive a 1968 Karmann Ghia that I had to add seatbelts to since I wanted them (it was old enough to not need them legally though). Anyway t me safety gear is common sense, I have been in all of 3 car accidents in my life, but I still wear a seatbelt every time I get in my truck.

I also guess another influence on me was the fact my dad rode a triumph when i was a kid and always wore a helmet and leather jacket (from what i can remember at least) as well as jeans when he rode.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
iCole
The iPhone guy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
GSX-R 250

Cool or what?

He's right, i love my gear, wouldn't go riding without it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4745.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	14609  
iCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:01 AM   #4
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

I wear mine all the time, even if it's just up the road to the store. The majority of accidents happen within 5 miles of your house.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:28 AM   #5
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Good write up there Flip.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Well I am 52 and never ride without skid lid, jacket, boots and gloves.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Mr ShinSmasher

+1 on the generation thing

I wear full 2 piece leathers, boots, full gauntlet gloves, and a helmet almost everytime I ride. I only wear jeans when I ride to work.

My dad on the other hand, he rides his Goldwing across the country multiple times every summer wearing shorts, t-shirt, and sun glasses. If the state he happens to be riding in has a helmet law he'll wear one, but if not, he wont.

I met him at the tail of the dragon this year and really got on him about putting on a jacket and helmet before we left. He can be such a tool sometimes.
Mr ShinSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Man View Post
I wear mine all the time, even if it's just up the road to the store. The majority of accidents happen within 5 miles of your house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshotwound View Post
Well I am 52 and never ride without skid lid, jacket, boots and gloves.
When did you guys first start riding?
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
andre3k
I see dead people...

I work accidents for a living and the number or cruiser accidents I work far outnumber sportbikes and the injuries are often more serious.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Well, you saw my post on what I do. I have rode for many years. I wore a helmet when the law made me or when it was raining. I got into sportbike late in like 38 or so and bought gear for it. I think it makes no sense to ride such a fast machine without gear. I feel naked on it when i don't. I started wearing helmets more on the chopper after crashes at the track taught me that I can not protect my head from injury no matter how hard I try in a fall.

Why don't I wear it all the time. For one helmets become unconfortable after long rides so sometime I take it off for relief. Other times I just don't want to wear it too pretty of day not enjoy the wind. To each his own. I think helmets should be personal choice if you over 18.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #11
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
I work accidents for a living and the number or cruiser accidents I work far outnumber sportbikes and the injuries are often more serious.
Isn't there more cruisers on the road that sportbikes in teh first place?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
mike

Member Garage

I can't ride my bike without my helmet as I always forget how to do it so the instructions are inside the helmet

I do see however mostly young kids on sportbikes without gear or even a helmet and then of course the cruiser folks which tend to be usually older (and you'd think wiser) without any gear.

So from that it would appear that the mid-twenty to late thirtys sport bike riders are the most smartest when it comes to gear.

Hand made italian leather boots (SIDI) beats factory manufactured in China sneakers all the time

Mike
Old 08-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #13
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

the older you get, the greater chances you have had an accident. you begin thinking "that sucks. I gotta pay bills, maybe I should't get hurt and lose all my ". something younger people rarely think about, since the have very little .

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #14
Rallo
The Shogun. Sho'nuff!

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R

I think a lot of it has to do with habits. Just like seat belts, some people use them, some people don't (although that may be harder now with the whole "Click It, or Ticket" thing), and some people use them when they remember. I think it's easier for newer riders to use at least some gear since that is what most are initially taught with MSF. Some people can change "bad" habits if and when they themselves see the usefuleness.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #15
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3N31 View Post
I think it's easier for newer riders to use at least some gear since that is what most are initially taught with MSF. Some people can change "bad" habits if and when they themselves see the usefuleness.
That would actually require they even took the MSF course and weren't too cool for school to just brush it off as BS. We got pulled over the other day with 19 bikes in the Forrest. 4 people did not have a license. So much for MSF.

Mike
Old 08-28-2008, 04:36 AM   #16
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
When did you guys first start riding?
I first started riding when I was about 12 and continued through my teen years then I quit riding. I am 41 and I just started riding again 3 years ago. I was a little rusty and took the MSF as a refresher. I wish I would of kept riding all those years but I probably would of gotten myself killed or something. So it was a good thing probably.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #17
lar300mag

Bike(s):
2007 HD Night Train
2008 Hayabusa

The question of to wear gear or not has always been debated, I am a firm believer in wearing gear but also having to choice to decline. After my last accident, which still hurts, i wear my gear more now than ever, even on my Harley. But for those who decide not to wear gear, unless you got mega insurance to cover your bills (i do), the hospitals should do just enough to keep your heart ticking and let you heal no matter how scarred or f**ked up they are for life and give the care to other who deserve it and can pay for it.
lar300mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #18
v4lu3s

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

How many people here can afford what it REALLY costs to pay for a motorcycle crash and hospitalization?

People can say they will decline to wear a helmet....well i would love it if I had a choice as to how the cost of my health insurance is doled out. It would be great if I could say "I do not want a single dime of the exorbitant amount it costs me to pay for health insurance to go towards the health care for a no helmet wearing head injured rider."
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #19
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

mid-30's here and I always wear gear. I feel naked without it, because that's how I learned (MSF). I've only been riding a little over a year, though, so I agree with the generation theory. If I had been riding for the last 20 years, probably no gear would seem fine.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #20
n2racing

I have been riding-lord I will give away my age-for over half a century and have always worn all the available protection. I agree that new older riders
often do not. To many of these people always wanted to get me one of them motosickles but don't have a clue how to ride. Put this together with no gear and the fatality rate soars, along with all of our insurance premiums.
n2racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement