MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #21
mrceotri
Ducky Patrol

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
ZX-6R
ZX-6R

Split at your own risk i guess, ....imo too many hot tempered houstonian drivers out there, and top that off with gas shortages, no electricity and what not. Bad combo.

Whats funny is as soon as you get into Texas, the sign says "Drive friendly,...the Texas way." <-somehting along that line. Hehe boy are those travelers in for a surprise.
mrceotri is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting stuck at traffic lights ChpStcksRlz General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 06-05-2015 11:37 PM
Traffic lights NightShadow General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 01-01-2013 02:04 PM
Do you lane split stop lights in morning traffic? Fastola General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 11-30-2012 10:54 PM
Lane splitting at stop lights? green600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 173 04-20-2012 09:07 PM
traffic lights cameron1507 General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 03-19-2007 02:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #22
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

i split this morning. i've got 3 lights out along hwy 90 on my way into work. i think i split for about 1/2 mile before i actually reached the intersection. didn't have anybody so much as honk at me.

i also didn't go more than about 5mph the entire way so i could safely stop if anybody did try and open a door or something on me.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #23
OJgsxr

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
2008 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to OJgsxr
I don't mind lane splitting as long as its stopped traffic and your only going a few MPH faster than they are. What I don't understand is why it upsets people in cars so much. Your not slowing down traffic, if anything your speeding it up and making their wait time go down.
OJgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #24
gixxerbill

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx View Post
The intersections without lights are dangerous enough without lane splitters. Not to mention all of the frustrated people from lack of fuel, food, etc. It is a bad combination to add lane spliting into the mix IMHO.

That's why you need to carry a gun on your bike. Kindof evens out the the odds a little from them have a cage around them.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #25
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJgsxr View Post
I don't mind lane splitting as long as its stopped traffic and your only going a few MPH faster than they are. What I don't understand is why it upsets people in cars so much. Your not slowing down traffic, if anything your speeding it up and making their wait time go down.
Cuz they think it's not "fair." I mean, if they're miserable, everybody else around them better well be miserable too.
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #26
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
I don't give a what they think. I do it all the time at lights, even before Ike. Yall have fun waiting in line suckin fumes.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #27
lil_red_rider
Track Photographer

Send a message via MSN to lil_red_rider Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_rider
I am guilty of encouraging it this last week with all the lighs out... I would normally be against it but there was a lot of traffic this week for ppl going crazy with getting gas and waiting in lines and blocking one side of the road.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #28
Costas

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'04 ZX-10R
'07 ZX-6R (track)
'04 ZX-6R (sold)
'05 Ninja 500 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to Costas
i normally don't since i've been pulled over for it before and issued a warning, but today i was coming back home from UH with a full backpack (laptop, books, papers, etc) hanging off of me and the shoulder pain was getting pretty intense. also had an engine at a constant 215 degrees fahrenheit between my legs with the radiator fan on the whole time and a leather jacket + jeans + boots + gloves + helmet (with a beanie on the inside to provide better fitment) with the sun glaring down on me. i sure as didn't feel like waiting in a line of traffic where i couldn't even see the traffic light since i was so far back. i was doing it on 59S as well in slow moving/stopped traffic only when there was enough room and actually had a handful of people move out of the way for me. no one seemed to show any signs of anger.
Costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #29
dudewhrsmybike

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Costas, get a helmet that fits bro!!!!!!!!!

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #30
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

I haven't been splitting b/c people are worse now that the lights are out on my side of town....been almost hit more times than I can count this week and seen dozens of people running lights every day....not the best time to take that additional chance in my opinion
Old 09-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #31
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybikes View Post
Costas, get a helmet that fits bro!!!!!!!!!
+1

an ill fitting helmet exp. helmet is no safer then an ill fitting cheap helmet.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #32
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

the close calls I was referring to were while I was caging it....people not stopping behind me or swerving into my lane b/c someone ran a red light.....I just got gas for the bike so today was my first day riding to work
Old 09-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #33
lynkxda1
MotoHouston Street Ninja

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2006 Kawawsaki zx 600RR

I am lane slitting like crazy. I do it at a slow pace always. I never had anyone try me. But if someone is just talkin chit, O well. But if some opens a door on me thats their a$$. I am riding protected with all this mess going around. I wish someone try me, they're in major trouble. Dont play with my life.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #34
zombie

Bike(s):
2001 Yamaha R6

if a cager opens their car door thats like them saying, "hey biker! there isnt any metal or glass in between you and me. come punch me in the face!" i just shrug off people cursing me out. they are the ones giving themselves a bad day.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #35
Rallo
The Shogun. Sho'nuff!

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2007 Ninja 650R

I don't really lane split, but recently with all the lights out there have been a few times when I was really thinking about it...but I still didn't. For the most part it's not so bad, I just take some side streets by my area instead of taking the direct route which is what most people do. It may be longer but with the lights out, it ends up being faster since you're moving. 290 on the other hand has been pretty bad even on the bus since they are on the main lanes too right now.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #36
blkbeaz28

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 3

Never really done it, until a couple of days ago.. I have been leaving for work earlier and trying to take diff routes...
blkbeaz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:01 AM   #37
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

I love splitting... yesterday was terrible, my entire 27 mile commute was pretty much 25 miles of gridlock. However.... I happened to keep having cops right next to me. Dang. Then on Jones and 1960 I split a little , at one of the lights, but it was totally different than splitting on a open freeway. Very tight, and yes one pickup truck saw me, and moved fast over to block like a jerk. I had stopped behind the car next to him and he was just being a jerk I guess. I want a motard so bad. I could have jumped the curb and just done some urban offroading instead. Riding in the grass median for 40 yards in the middle would have been so much easier.....
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #38
M@tt
Platinum Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
09 - Gixxer 1000
06 - Gixxer 750 Track / Garage

I have been taking the shoulder when I can.
M@tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #39
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
yep i split about 2 miles of traffic this morning.

only had one car pull over to block me. I gave him a love tap on the front quarter panel with my boot as I moved over in front of the car on the other side and continued splitting one lane over.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #40
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Geez. I wish we could all get on our local state rep and see if during the "emergency" they'll temporarily try it out by allowing splitting. I took 1 hour 45 mins blistering hot in traffic today that I could have split, all because I saw a cop a couple cars in front each time and didn't want to get a ticket. The ride on saturday morning takes 27 mins. With splitting 45-50. Without splitting 1.45!

Geez. Think we'd have a shot, its even more dangerous now in traffic without splitting
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement